How to Respond to a Chemical Burn in the Workplace
There is a vast array of dangerous chemicals present in all manner of work situations, and you may at some point in your career face a situation in which your skin is exposed to these substances. Depending on the chemical composition of the material, contact may lead to a painful chemical burn which is likely to require medical attention.
If you suffer a chemical burn in the workplace it may be appropriate to pursue workers’ compensation benefits to address medical expenses and wages lost due to any missed time at work. While workers’ compensation exists for the purpose of providing benefits that cover such expenses, it can sometimes take the assistance of a skilled attorney to obtain the benefits you are entitled to.
Proper Response Procedures
In the event that you suffer a chemical burn, take the following steps to minimize the damage:
- Identify the chemical to the best of your ability.
- Rinse the burn with lukewarm water for most chemicals, or
- Use rubbing alcohol for carbolic acid and other phenol-based chemicals, or
- Use soapy water or a baking soda solution for sulfuric acid and other hydrofluoric chemicals
- Contact emergency services or seek medical attention as soon as possible.
If you have suffered a chemical burn at the workplace, we can help you with your initial claim or appeal if your initial claim was denied. Contact the experienced Des Moines workers’ compensation attorneys of LaMarca Law Group, P.C., at 877-327-2600 today.